Tuesday, February 05, 2008

What lips my lips have kissed, and where, and why (Sonnet XLIII)


What lips my lips have kissed, and where, and why, 


I have forgotten, and what arms have lain


Under my head till morning; but the rain


Is full of ghosts tonight, that tap and sigh


Upon the glass and listen for reply,


And in my heart there stirs a quiet pain


For unremembered lads that not again


Will turn to me at midnight with a cry.


Thus in winter stands the lonely tree,


Nor knows what birds have vanished one by one,


Yet knows its boughs more silent than before:


I cannot say what loves have come and gone,


I only know that summer sang in me


A little while, that in me sings no more.

1 comment:

orgasmik said...

This sonnet is so touching!...touches exactly where it should.
thanks for posting it.